Jan 28, 2009
Jan 6, 2009
"I loved that school. It was a wonderful place to be. There were all wood floors and windows in every room. Our principal—Mrs. Haggerty used to bring in dahlias and put them in pitchers on the landing by the stairs."
--Memories of Eleanor Capko, Stanard Student from 1930-1936, and life-long resident of East 52nd Street.
Located near East 55th Street and St. Clair Avenue, Stanard School was designated a Cleveland Historical Landmark prior to its 2008 deconstruction.  Thousands of neighborhood kids spent their elementary years in the two majestic red brick buildings, including the great-grandmother of APOC partner Aaron Gogolin. Although not confirmed,
The original structure was built by renowned architect John Eisenmann in 1885. Eisenmann studied landscape design and engineering before he served as professor of engineering at Case School of Applied Science. From 1883-1889, he was the supervising architect for the Cleveland Board of Education and built dozens of school buildings, residences and commercial buildings. His best known building is the Arcade on
In 1904, Cleveland Schools' Superintendent of Buildings, Frank Seymour Barnum, eliminated all wood as material in school interiors in new school buildings. He required reinforced concrete floors and replaced wooden floors, wainscoting, baseboards and stairs with iron or other materials. Because Stanard School was built 15 years prior to Barnum's regulations, the amount and type of wood it contained is a rarity in Cleveland’s school buildings.
On June 3rd, 1964, the school was hit by lightening and 350 students were evacuated from the building when the chimney fell. Kind neighbors invited whole classes into their homes so that the children were protected from the rain storm. The school was closed shortly after the incident. 
The buildings sat empty for about 35 years and fell into such disrepair that they could not be saved. In 2008, the City of
3] Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 25 (1966), 281-91
5] Data Regarding Various
The history of the home at
Mary and Thor Hamilton owned a large plot of land in Glenville that today would encompass dozens of city blocks along Orville from
In 1896, Mary and Thor sold a portion of her land to Howard and Hattie Hamilton for $1; they were most likely related. According to the City Directory of 1889, Howard Hamilton was a carpenter and was living on the property in 1910 when the house was built.  APOC rescued pine and maple flooring and hardwood framing lumber including maple, ash and beech woods. These are highly unusual woods to use for house construction, and APOC suspects Mr. Hamilton constructed the home himself with these valuable hardwoods.
In the 1930s, Glenville was a mostly Jewish neighborhood, but in 1939 Newell E. McEnally, the president of the Metal Fusion Company, lived there with his wife Ann.
By1942, an Italian family headed by Frank and Anna Borally were living in the home. Frank was a baker by trade and ran Frank’s Bakery. His brother, Albert Borally served in the United States Army in World War II.
In 1953, the Borallys moved east to
Like the Borally family, many of Glenville’s European population began to move to suburban areas after World War II and by the 1950s, Glenville was almost entirely African American. In 1954, Lucius (sometimes spelled Lucious) Hubbard, his wife Lessie and ultimately their eight children lived in the home. Mr. Hubbard was a church deacon as well as a Trackman and he inspected and maintained railroad tracks. The Hubbard family lived in the home for almost fifty years and their family can be found in Call and Post articles from the 1950s and 1960s. 
1.] Cuyahoga County Plat Maps, 1890, Cuyahoga
2.] Volume 24, page 13 Cuyahoga County Recorder’s records,
3.] Volume 632, page 131 Cuyahoga County Records, Deed,
4.] 1889/1890 City Directory of
5.] Volume 1308, page 576 Cuyahoga County Records
6.] Cuyahoga County Plat Map, 1930, Cuyahoga County Recorder’s Office, Cleveland,
7.] 1939 City Directory of
8.] Metal Fusion Company, website and address
9.] 1942 and 1953 City Directories of
10.] Plain Dealer;
12.] 1954 City Directory of
The property located at 1425 West 65th street has an archival history that dates back to the mid 1800s when it was part of the sparsely populated Brooklyn Township. Most of Brooklyn Township was owned by Richard and Samuel Lord and Josiah Barber of the Lord and Barber Firm. The early settlers of this area would have most likely purchased their property from Lord and Barber.
The 1870 County Auditor's map indicates the property may have been a part of the Johnson,Sacket and Waterbury Allotment; Part of the land that once belonged to Cleveland pioneer Levi Johnson's heirs. Levi Johnson came to Cleveland in the spring of 1808 and among his many accomplishments built the first wood frame building, the first jail and the first courthouse. He provided supplies to soldiers in the war of 1812 and later served as an alderman and a coroner. He died at 86 and left his real estate holdings to his family. His grandson, Levi A. Johnson had "some of
Once sparsely populated farmland, this part of Brooklyn Township became the village of West Cleveland in 1871 and was annexed to the City of Cleveland in 1894. The 1874 Atlas of Cuyahoga County, indicates the property was owned by WJ Gordon and became known as the Gordon Avenue Allottment. In fact, West 65th street was called Gordon Avenue until 1906 when the City of Cleveland numbered most of the North/South streets.
The Gordon family owned several parcels of land in what is now the Detroit Shoreway neighborhood. W J Gordon was the prominent citizen who donated the east side Gordon Park to the City of
Mr Templin sold a sub plot to Elija Stevens in 1906; The house upcycled by A Piece of Cleveland was built in 1914 when the Stevens family owned the property.
Elija Stevens and his wife, Louisa Jane, were originally from
For nearly forty years, the home was occupied by the Stevens family.According to Cleveland City Directories 1929-1941, Francis and Loreetha Stevens and their children lived there until about 1942. Francis Stevens worked for nine years as a machinist and a foreman before going to law school at
By 1943, Anthony Zarrelli is listed in the City Directory as the owner of the home. United States Census records show that Antonio Zarrelli was 24 years old in 1920 and born in
By the time Anthony lived on West 65th, he was married to Raffaella. According to Anthony's 1973 obituary, the Zarrellis had nine children. During World War II their three adult relatives in the household included: Pasquale, who served in the United States Army; and Viola E. and Marie A., both machine operators in Rosie the Riveter fashion.
The home was located just around the corner from
The Johnsons, Gordons, Stevens and Zarrellis families have made unique contributions to the history of
APOC Volunteers on W.65th:
A History of Cleveland and Its Environs, Elroy McKendree Avery, Lewis Publishing Company, Lewis Publishing Company, 1918.